Fiction Submission Guidelines
ForbiddenFiction.com is a publisher devoted to writing that breaks the boundaries of original erotic fiction. We accept stories that combine intense sexuality with quality writing. Submissions should draw the reader in and let's them feel with the characters. We are looking for stories that not only arouse readers through sensations, but also engage them emotionally and mentally through storytelling as well-crafted as the sex is hot.
NOTE: We currently have a temporary hold on new submissions unless they fit one (or more) of these three conditions:
- They are for one of our top three anthologoies in progress: Pagan Mysteries, Desk Job or Taking Flight.
- They are from an "invited author" - someone the publisher has contacted directly about their work.
- They are from an author we currently work with.
Before sending a submission, MUST read the Writer's FAQ first. Do not submit work without having done so. Doing so is a violation of our submission guidelines. What we are doing is new and if you haven't read this, you will not understand the site plan.
By submitting work to ForbiddenFiction.com, you agree that:
- You are the author(s) of the story and own the publication rights. (Or authorized agent of the author(s).)
- You are age 18 or over.
- The work is not under consideration by another publisher.
- You understand that U.S. law also requires you provide your social security number in order to pay royalties to U.S. citizens.
- You have read our Writer's FAQ and agree to work within the publishing model presented.
- You understand that all work accepted for publication will go through editing before publication and are willing to work with editorial staff to produce work to fit site guidelines.
The title of the email must include:
- The word Submission and the working title.
- If the submission is for a Special Collection, include the name of the collection in the title of the email. For example: Submission to SC - Naughty Pirates
In the body of your submission e-mail must include:
- Your legal name and pseudonym (if applicable).
- Your mailing address and contact e-mail address.
- Working title of story (and series name if applicable).
- Length (word count) of manuscript.
- General story description in two paragraphs or less.
- Writing credentials. (Information about previous publishing, even fan works.)
- Let us know if the story has been published or posted anywhere before (print or online, even posted to a journal), and if so, where. This does not automatically rule out a story for publication. If you hold the rights, we can sometimes integrate that previous exposure into promotions.
- Submission agreement. After several submissions from authors who have not followed (or even read) our guidelines, we now require this statement before we will even read a submission. We don't want to waste either our time or yours, so read it first.
Your email should include this Submission Agreement statement:
I have read the Submission Guidelines and the Writer's FAQ published on ForbiddenFiction.com and agree to work within the publishing model presented. This work being submitted is not under consideration with another publisher and is available and being submitted for publication with ForbiddenFiction.com. I am the author of the work being submitted and control the rights to publication. I am at least age 18 or older, and am both willing and able to sign a contract for said work under my legal name. Said work has either not been published before or I have included all information of previous publication and/or distribution of the work. I understand that all work accepted for publication will go through editing before publication and agree that am willing to work with editorial staff to produce work to fit site guidelines. I agree that communication between ForbiddenFiction.com and myself is confidential and not to be revealed in public without consent of both parties.
If the abobe items listed are not in the email (not the submission file, the email) we will not even open the file with the story. This protects us from spam, computer viruses and people who cannot follow directions.
Attach the following to your email:
- The complete manuscript. File name should be the working title of the story. This should be a .doc or .docx file. Manuscripts should be formatted for submission. One file per story. We prefer single spaced with a space in between paragraphs. (Indents at the beginning of paragraphs are not necessary.) Any submissions with severe formatting problems (i.e. blocks of text with no paragraph breaks, illegible fonts) will not be read. We also expect even though we have proofreaders, authors have read and corrected their own manuscripts before submission.
Send to: submissions [at] forbidden-fiction [dot] com (subject: Submission%20to%20FFP)
Do not use any other email address. Submissions are only logged in if they come to that address.
You will receive confirmation by email, usually within 7 days, that we have received your manuscript and the file opens properly. If you don’t get confirmation within a week, please check in with us. We hope to have answers to queries within a week and response time to read and reply to manuscripts within 4-12 weeks. (This will largely dependent on volume received.)
These guidelines last revised 2/3/2013.